AFC Blackpool was formed in 1947 under the name of Blackpool Metal Mechanics and played at Stanley Park for two years before moving to the current Jepson Way ground.
They played in local leagues before taking the step up to join the West Lancashire League. During this period in local league football they won many awards, taking the Division Two title of the Fylde District League in 1950/51 and in Division One were champions twice and runners-up three times in five consecutive years between 1953/54 and 1957/58. Numerous local cup competitions were also won, including the Lancashire Junior Shield in 1957/58, a competition they were to win again in 1960/61.
As the 50's drew to a close, Blackpool Mechanics decided to take the next step up and join the West Lancashire League. They were an almost immediate success, being runners-up in 1959/60 and champions for the next two seasons. Various cups and trophies from local competitions still regularly found their way to Jepson Way.
The club then took another step up the football ladder by joining the Lancashire Combination. The jump in standard meant the cups and honours that had poured into the trophy room dried up and it was not until the turn of the decade before many more honours were to come their way.
In 1972/73 they won the Lancashire Combination Bridge Shield and in 1974/75 they finished runners-up in the league, just one point behind champions Darwen. They remained a strong team throughout the 70's although towards the end they suffered some poor results.
With the advent of the North West Counties League, Blackpool Mechanics were placed in Division Three and in 1985/86 were promoted to Division Two. At the end on 1991/92 they were promoted to Division One, but it was not a happy experience and the club returned to Division Two. After a few seasons of struggle, the club is now financially stable and looking forward to developing the club's potential both on and off the pitch.
In the summer of 2005 Blackpool Mechanics FC merged with Lytham St. Annes FC who had just won the West Lancashire League Division One title. Lytham St. Annes resigned from their own league and have brought their resources and manpower to Jepson Way in a bid to launch the new look Mechanics in their push up the non-league football pyramid.
The club was re-named AFC Blackpool in May 2008 when Blackpool Mechanics FC and Squires Gate Junior FC got together to form one club. It was decided to mark the start of a new era by re-naming the club and the name 'AFC Blackpool' was chosen. The club leased a further piece of land adjacent to the ground in Jepson Way to accommodate the enlarged club and investment to improve the facilities was begun. The club ground in Jepson Way retains its name 'The Mechanics' to maintain a link with the past.
Season 2010/11 saw the club have probably its best season ever. The first team were promoted to the Premier Divison as Div.1 champions with a record breaking 28 wins and three draws in 34 league matches. They also reached the semi finals in both the 1st Divison Trophy and the League Cup.
There were notable sucesses in the Junior section too with the under 16s doing the league and cup double, the under 10's and 11's winning their respective Divisions and the under 14s also winning promotion.
With the club now providing football from under 6 through to open age the future is looking secure.